Ah, whatever goes around eventually comes back to you
- Same as the adage, “What goes around comes around.”
So you gotta be careful, baby _ And look both ways _ Before you cross my mind
- A popular phrase, especially in music. “Be careful before you enter into my mind” is the idea.
Did you ever wonder? Yeah _ Do you ever wonder what he might be going through on his own, and _ The demons that he’s facing alone (Sometimes it hurts baby)
- “Facing demons” is a person’s personal battles or troubles.
I hate that sometimes I can’t go home _ And it just ain’t the same on the phone, no _ But everybody’s gotta go on, don’t they?
- To “go on” is to continue and push through one’s challenges.
Yes, we do, baby _ So if you need a hero (if you need a hero) _ Just look in the mirror (just look in the mirror) _ No one’s gonna save you now _ So you better save yourself _ And everybody’s hurting _ Everybody’s going through it
- To “go through it” is to experience general hard times. Like, “Man, I’ve been going through it lately.”
But you just can’t give up now _ ‘Cause you gotta save yourself _ Yeah, gotta hang on, baby
- “Hang on” in this case means to keep living and hoping for a better future. In other words, not giving up or quitting.
The sun’ll come out, nothing good ever comes easy _ I know times are rough but winners don’t quit _ So don’t you give up, the sun’ll come out _ But we’ve been struggling endlessly _ Someday we’ll find the love _ ‘Cause after the storm’s when the flowers bloom _ Kali, what you mean? I take it offensive
*What do you mean? I take it offensively/I take offense to it …
‘Cause I’m the hottest flower boy
- “Hot” in this case can be attractive or having lots of success at the moment. Flower boy is a reference to one of Tyler’s albums called Flower Boy.
That popped up on the scene
- To “pop up” is to appear or to come into attention. The “scene” refers to some kind of venue or field of practice that can be physical (crime scene, movie scene) or intangible (the music scene, the academic scene). The scene can also be a general location or awareness. Like, “He’s new on the scene” is the same as “He’s new here/in this sphere of attention.”
Feeling better, better than ever _ ‘Cause your umbrella, -brella (-brel-la)
- A reference to the Rihanna song, “Umbrella.” Also, he feels safe under her shade.
Sun is beaming on me like headlights beaming on Bambi
- Reference to the animated movie about Bambi, the deer. “A deer in headlights” is also a popular term for someone who is scared, with the idea of a deer frozen in fear ahead of a car. In this way, the lyric shows both success and fear.
Now let’s pretend the street is the room _ And you are a Camry, ’cause you drive me candy
- Reference to the car, Camry. A play on the usual phrase, “drive me crazy,” where drive can be to lead someone into an emotional state or to drive a vehicle. Candy refers to car paint, sometimes called “candy paint” when it’s bright and colorful.
The Tito to my Randy, now let’s produce some thrillers
- Tito and Randy are two of the Jackson Five brothers that performed together for years. It’s sort of a romantic way to say a phrase. “He is the light to my stage.” It means that person completes the other. Thrillers are, of course, in reference to the Michael Jackson megahit, “Thriller.” He’s also implying that they make lots of success together, but also that they have some dangerous fun.
My chocolate wit’ yo’ vanilla, uh
- Tyler is darker skinned (like chocolate) while Kali has light skin (like vanilla). *My chocolate with your vanilla.
The sun’ll come out _ Nothing good ever comes easy _ I know times are rough _ But winners don’t quit _ So don’t you give up _ The sun’ll come out _ But we’ve been struggling endless days _ Someday we’ll find the love _ ‘Cause after the storm… _ I know it’s hard _ But did you even really try? _ Maybe you could understand _ When all you had to do was ask _ And just open your mind _ When everything is passing by _ And all you had to do was try _ Yeah, all you had to do was try
- It sounds like the relationship didn’t work because they didn’t communicate or try to understand each other.
Try, try, try, try, try _ And all you had to do was try _ Try, try, try, try
Watch it here: